Position Description : Financial Controller
Reports To: CEO
Basic Function: The selected candidate will be accountable for the accounting operations of the organization, which will include the production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company’s reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles or international financial reporting standards.
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures
- Manage any outsourced functions
- Oversee the financial operations of the business and provide guidance on the growth of the accounting department, including the design of an organizational structure adequate for achieving the future department’s goals and objectives
- Oversee the accounting operations of subsidiary corporations, especially their control systems, transaction-processing operations, and policies and procedures.
- Ensure that accounts payable are reconciled and paid in a timely manner
- Ensure that all reasonable discounts are taken on accounts payable
- Ensure that accounts receivable are collected promptly
- Process payroll in a timely manner
- Ensure that periodic bank reconciliations are completed
- Ensure that required debt payments are made on a timely basis
- Maintain the chart of accounts
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system
- Maintain a system of controls over accounting transactions
- Issue timely and complete financial statements
- Coordinate the preparation of the corporate annual report
- Recommend benchmarks against which to measure the performance of company operations
- Calculate and issue financial and operating metrics
- Manage the production of the annual budget and forecasts
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management
- Provide for a system of management cost reports
- Provide financial analyses as needed, in particular for capital investments, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations
- Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for the annual audit
- Monitor debt levels and compliance with debt covenants
- Comply with provincial, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
Desired Qualifications: The successful Controller candidate should possess a Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business administration, or equivalent business experience and 5+ years of progressively responsible experience gained through experience employed with a major company or division of a large corporation.
Preference will be given to candidates with the Certified Public Accountant or Certified Management Accountant designations.
- Financial Reporting: 5 years
- Bookkeeping: 5 years
- Financial Management: 5 years